It’s always a bummer to have a rainy day during your Hilton Head vacation, but fear not, we’ve got ideas for keeping the littles (and not so littles) entertained while you’re waiting for the rain clouds to clear.
Visit the Sandbox Children’s Museum – The Sandbox has become one of Hilton Head’s favorite destinations for both visiting families and locals. The Sandbox has two convenient locations: one on Hilton Head Island and one at the Tanger 2 Outlets in Bluffton. Both locations offer children a hands-on, interactive experience they won’t soon forget. Children of all ages will love the flight simulator where they can “navigate the friendly skies” in a real jet, listen to commands from air traffic control through their captain’s headphones, and even don a pilot costume to complete the experience. Transition from air to sea as you explore their 48” saltwater aquarium filled with unique sea creatures. Little artists will love the rhythm and hues art room, and no visit is complete without a stop in the Loggerhead Sandcastle where children are surrounded by sand, sea, and sky. Kids can put on hard hats and construction gear while working with giant lego blocks or take a trip to their grocery corner. There’s something for everyone at this family-centered attraction (you’ll want to check it out even if it’s not raining)!
80 Nassau St | Hilton Head Island, SC 29928 | (843) 842-7645 | TheSandbox.org
Make a Reservation at The Art Cafe – The Art Cafe is a paint-your-own pottery studio that promises to be a family favorite activity. The Art Cafe is open Monday – Saturday and a reservation is required. When your family arrives, you’ll have the opportunity to pick out a piece of pottery to paint, and their friendly staff will help get you started. Upon completion, the team will glaze and fire your artwork for you. Try to plan this activity during the early days of your visit because your piece won’t be finished until 3 days later (don’t worry though. They’ll arrange to have your pieces shipped if you’re leaving soon after your visit). Enjoy food and drinks while you paint including beer and wine for the grown-ups!
5 Lagoon Rd | Hilton Head Island, SC 29928 | (843) 785-5525 | ArtCafeHHI.com
Take in a Movie – Hilton Head has 3 theaters for your movie-viewing pleasure ensuring that no rainy day is a washout! Relax in electric reclining lounge chairs while enjoying something from the beer and wine bar during a trip to Northridge Cinema 10. If independent films are your thing, visit Coligny Theater. Hilton Head Island’s first theatre caters to an upscale adult audience. If you’re hoping to catch a new release while relaxing in luxurious reclining seats, Park Place Cinema is just what the doctor ordered. The cafe & lounge has a full food menu and offers beer, wine, coffee, and ice cream.
Do a Little Shopping – Coligny Plaza is the perfect destination for some rainy day shopping. There’s plenty of cover as you wander from store to store and there’s something for everyone. A few must-visit shops?
- Island Girl – clothes, accessories, and footwear for women
- HH House of Jerky – Over 60 varieties of jerky!
- HH House of Popcorn – Over 75 flavors of gourmet popcorn!
- The Island Fudge Shoppe – Homemade fudge, hand dipped chocolates, candies, and more.
- Coligny Kite and Flag Company – kids kites, single-lines, sport kites, and accessories.
- Mingles Gifts & Collectibles – easy-living clothes and jewelry, hand-crafted items, home accents, wall art, garden decor, special souvenirs, wine accessories, pet gifts, shell crafts, gourmet foods, and year-round Christmas.
- Cariloha Bamboo – health and eco-conscious gifts
- Del Sol – color-changing shirts, hair accessories, jewelry, sunglasses, nail polish, and more
- Haskins & Co. – stylish, designer dresses, jewelry, bags, and much more.
- The Pelican Pouch – coastal-inspired home decor, furnishings, jewelry, and gifts for enjoying your beach lifestyle.
- Hilton Head Toys – Surfer Dudes, Spike Ball, and a large assortment of other beach toys and games.
- Camp Hilton Head – wide variety of t-shirts, sweatshirts, shorts, pants, hats, glassware, trinkets, jewelry, picture frames and other collectibles.
Atomic VR Virtual Reality Arcade – Fun for everyone 8 and over! Atomic Virtual Arcade offers players an unlimited amount of entertainment. With 4 VR gaming stations available, you can explore the virtual experiences with your friends and family, go online and play with others around the world, or take on your own battles. Become immersed in a virtual reality video gaming world.
38 Gateway Circle | Hilton Head Island, SC 29928 | 843-505-7182 | AtomicVRHHI.com
Chronic Golf – check out the Lowcountry’s first indoor golf and multi-sport simulation sports bar. Choose from over 100 golf courses and 13 other sports to play from the comfort of your own bay/living room area. Use their top-of-the-line Srixon and Cleveland golf clubs and Full Swing Simulators.
59A New Orleans Rd | Hilton Head Island, SC 29928 | 833-987-GOLF | MyChronicGolf.com
Catch a Ride on The Breeze Trolley – Guests love “catching the breeze” to connect to some of the island’s favorite destinations. Access shopping and groceries, the best island restaurants, any of the Hilton Head beaches, and all of the island activities. The 2 Breeze Trolley routes promise to connect you to your favorite on island destination hassle-free! Download their route map and schedule here.